Wednesday 11 April 2012

Matt Lauer Tops List of Most Powerful People in News

Broadcast journalist Matt Lauer, who signed a new multi-million dollar deal last week to continue his hosting duties on the "Today" show, led The Hollywood Reporter list of the 35 Most Powerful People in Media.
The Hollywood Reporter talked with the veteran newsman about his former "Today" co-host Katie Couric, current co-host Ann Curry -- and life beyond "Today."Lauer told the Reporter he did talk with Couric about a possible reunion on TV. "I wasn't just wasting time. There's no crime in listening."
He also defended Couric's recent guest host spot on "Good Morning America." Lauer stated, "I was vocally not one of the people who thought it was wrong. I thought it was absolutely right. Katie hasn't been here for six years. She had a completely different stop in between at CBS. She's under contract at ABC News. She's one of the best morning hosts ever. Why wouldn't you use her on that show?"

As for the rumors Ann Curry may be on her way out, Matt replied, "I read the rumors, and I know there is a cottage industry of meanness out there. I love Ann. I've known her for 20 years. I think we have a kind of sister-brother thing, maybe sister-brother from different parents." He laughed, adding, "We're not at all alike. But I feel very comfortable alongside her."
Lauer also knows being on "Today" won't last forever. "At some point, you do need to remember that this is just one aspect of life and that you spend a whole lot more of your day being a father and a husband and a friend and a son than you do being on the 'Today' show. This is a really important part of my life. But it's not my life."
Then again, he said, "When you get your dream job, you'd be really hard-pressed to leave it. Unless you've got another dream job out there."

No comments:

Post a Comment